WPFW Regular LSB Meeting
September 12, 2018
1990 K Street N.W. Washington, D.C.
Robert Simms,
Ellen Williams Carter Secretary
I. Call to order
At 6:40 pm a quorum was established. Robert Simms chair
called the meeting to order at 6:40 pm.
II. Roll call
16 - Members were present at roll call: Maskeelah-Myrtle
Washington, Ellen Williams Carter, Benito Diaz, Donald Williams, Vicki McGill, Robert Simms, Nick Arena, Campbell
Johnson, Eileen Rosin Jay Winter Nightwolf, Tony Leon, Lona Alias, Julie Hewitt, Nancy Sorden, Martha Peterson, Eric
5 - Excused Absences: Cliff Smith, Jim Brown, Meredith Cordisco, Sabooh Hakim, Ron Pinchback
3 - Unexcused:
Christine Cotter, Gloria Turner, Louis Wolf
There were no resignations/removals.
The GM Jerry Paris was present.
The IPD Katea Stitt was absent.
Timekeeper: Rob Simms
Sergeant at Arms: J Winter Nightwolf
III. Approval
of Agenda
The Agenda was approved.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
The August 8, 2018 WPFW LSB regular meeting
minutes were reviewed and approved.
V. Management Reports
The General Manager, Jerry Paris stated the
-There are two new members in the news department: Chris Bangert-Drowns and Susan Goodwin.
- All bills
are paid except long term payables. The HD transmitter project will begin soon. The transmitter will be relocated at the
Brandywine location during the project. The station transmitter power will be reduced by 50% - 60%. American University
will share the cost of the construction of the transmitter shack.
- The next pledge drive will begin on October 13th.
There will be workshops for the on air programmers.
-There is a new election supervisor Gram Drew.
VI. Finance
The Treasurer, Nick Arena’s report stated the following:
The bank Balance as of 8/31/18 was
approximately $86,000 with payroll and bills current except long term payables. The August mini drive was a success with
over $156,000 raised. Cash flow will be very difficult until the Fall Pledge Drive.
Budget Revenue and Expense
-Capital Campaign needs to begin with mailing to donors and make follow up calls and meetings.
This needs staff and volunteers support.
-Need assistance with Live@5 Studio rental, equipment sales and
other off air fundraising efforts.
- FY2019 Budget process has begun with a group working with staff to
Due to audit and tax return work by the Pacifica National Office accounting staff, updated financial
statements are not yet available. A rough draft of Year to Date versus Budget was provided for the LSB.
Community Comment
John Tatum-
He reviewed a Parliamentary procedures.
Community person Dara –
She is a
fan of WPFW.
Willian Taft
Stated we need to improve our internet website to generate more funds. He is willing to
VIII. PNB Report
Benito Diaz stated:
LSB election will take place. The PNB voted to have elections.
Tentative timeline for the election is the end of the year. PNB voted to approve new ED. The PNB formed an
administrative committee to oversee management of Pacifica's pension plans, and appointed two plan trustees.
Leon stated:
PNB Strategic Planning Committee
The PNB Strategic Planning Committee has been discussing the various
aspects pertaining to a Pacifica underwriting policy. The IED Tom Livingston summarized a slideshow study in which he
1. "essentially every public and community radio station does underwriting. For example, WDIY in
Bethlehem Pennsylvania, a community radio station with a governance structure a lot like Pacifica's, and a potential
audience of 800,000 gets more than $200k of its $600k budget from underwriting, and as of 2006 or so was getting more
than half..."
2. recently he goes on to list the most important commandments of underwriting. Which are no:
1. calls to action. 2. price information. 3. inducements to buy, sell, lease or rent. 4. qualitative or comparative
3. Tom projected that if we could raise $200k at each of our stations, it would be enough to
replace the CPB money we may or may not be able to get back again.
4. If Pacifica could get $1million
aggregate at the five stations and get the $1million back from CPB it would be a lot closer to sustainability and go a
long way toward having a stream of money that could fund the loan payback.
A motion passed in the committee to
authorize the IED to formalize the structure of the Pacifica Affiliates Program by taking the necessary steps to treat
it as a separate business unit with its own budget and its own staff separate from the National office
National Finance Committee (NFC)
The NFC passed a motion recommending that the PNB direct the IED/ED to
direct each unit to prioritize NETA* interactions, and that each unit should report on said work in progress, or explain
why said work is being delayed within four days. NFC is also tracking 2019 budget process for the network.
* (NETA is
the organization hired to do the day to day operations formally performed by the CFO. They also support the Auditor by
addressing any current issues. They have been visiting all 5 stations working on audit, payroll, cash flow and financial
statements as well as consolidating reporting.)
IX. Program Committee
The committee met with Jerry Paris (GM).
They discussed the roles and responsibilities of the committee and the IPD. He will get info@gmail information and
survey information for the LSB.
X. MASC Committee
A discussion took place in an Executive Session regarding
personnel matters.
XI. Outreach and Development
The Blues Festival raised $7,344.29.
The WPFW Dick Gregory
Day will take place on October 13, 2018 at the Kenilworth Recreation Center. The rain date is the 14th.The registration
cost is $35.
Tony Leon received $305 from LSB members for station advertising.
XII. New Business
Lou wants to
mandate attendance of the IPD at LSB meetings. Lou also wants the LSB to have a dinner for Gloria Minott.
submitted by Eileen Rosin
I move that we strongly encourage the IPD to attend the LSB meetings and submit a report.

Vote 7 favor 2 Against 2 abstentions
LSB favors sending the letter.
Vote: Unanimous
XIII. Adjourn Regular
Meeting at 8:45 pm
Executive session reconvened at 8:50pm
The executive session concerned personnel matters.

XIII. Adjourn Meeting
Robert Simms, Chair adjourned the meeting at 9:05pm
Minutes submitted by: Ellen
Williams Carter