WPFW Regular LSB Meeting
November 8, 2017
1990 K Street N.W. Washington, D.C.
Robert Simms, Chair

Ellen Williams Carter Secretary
I. Call to order
At 6:40 pm a quorum was established. Robert Simms called the
meeting to order at 6:40 pm.
II. Roll call
16 Members were present at roll call: Robert Simms, Maskeelah-Myrtle
Washington, Ellen Williams Carter (non- voting), Louis Wolf, Eileen Rosin, Nick Arena (non-voting), Jim Brown, Julie
Hewitt, Benito Diaz, Cliff Smith, Martha Peterson, Ron Pinchback, Donald Williams, Sabooh Hakim, Tony Leon, Vickie
McGill, JW Nightwolf, Eric Ramey
4 Members Late: Campbell Johnson, Gloria Turner, Lona Alias, Nancy Sorden
Excused absence: Christine Cotter, Meredith Cordisco
The GM Jerry Paris was present.
The IPD Katea Stitt was not
Timekeeper: Eric Ramey
III. Approval of Agenda – agenda was approved
Agenda Approved
IV. Approval
of the minutes
The October 2017 regular meeting minutes were approved.
Minutes Approved
V. Finance Report by
Treasurer, Nick Arena
The LSB raised approximately $600. for the one day drive. CPB funds are still being withheld.
Nancy Sorden, Eileen Rosin and Nick Arena are reviewing the fiscal year 2018 budget report. They are looking at items
that need to be added. Maskeelah Washington requested copies of each shows amounts raised during the fundraising
VI. Management Reports
The General Manager, Jerry Paris stated the following:
During the drive the
programmers raised $342,000. A major donor contributed $7,000. More money coming in from major donors. Ralph Nader has
agreed to do a program on WPFW and do fundraising dinners. Environmental, Health and Youth programs are coming. Live@5
space partnering with a videographer. The transmitter is doing well. Moe Thomas put in a new thermostat. All bills for
this month are paid. A payment was sent to the National office for a central service payment for this month.
Community Comment
Joe Brown (community member) - He would like to see more news on the weekend. He would like to see
a think tank established to develop and present hot topics.
Tony Norman - He stated that any station swap or sale
should be decided in the open with details.
Donna Grimes - She had several questions. First, she asked what the
criteria for bringing on new programs. Second, she asked how the Interim Program Director works with the public. Jerry
Paris (GM) said it is the duty of the Interim Program Director to meet with the program committee. It was stated that
IPD has been invited but she has not attended the program committee meetings.
VIII. PNB Reports
Benito Diaz
stated that he was unable to report information that was discussed in PNB executive sessions. He indicated that we will
receive proposed bylaw amendments.
Jim Brown asked if LSB PNB committee members were receiving notices about PNB
committee meetings.
Rob Simms (Technology), Eric Ramey (Programming), Don Williams, Lou Wolf, Cliff Smith have not
been contacted.
The Chair agreed to email the PNB Secretary to resolve this matter.
IX. Programming Committee,
Donna Grimes (chair) –submitted a written report
Donna Grimes stated that the program committee requested that the GM
give them access to the email page that was set-up to receive community feedback regarding recently broadcast music or
public affairs programs (Info@wpfw.org). Donna Grimes said two weeks ago, she received a response from the IPD denying
this request since neither she nor other PC members are on Staff.
X. MASC Committee
No report was shared.
Outreach and Development
Gloria Turner said they were distributing tickets for the U Street Jam fundraiser. Ron
Pinchback indicated that they anticipated selling 100 tickets for the Resistance Comedy fundraiser.
XII. Adjourn
Regular Meeting at 8:28 pm
XIII. Executive Session 8:33 pm reconvened
The executive session relates to proprietary
Executive Session adjourned at 10:00pm
XIV. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: There was no
Robb Simms adjourned the regular meeting at 10:00 pm
Meeting adjourned at 10:00 pm
Minutes submitted
by: Ellen Williams Carter