WPFW Regular LSB Meeting
August 9, 2017
1990 K Street N.W. Washington, D.C.
Robert Simms, Chair

Ellen Williams Carter Secretary
I. Call to order
At 6:40 pm a quorum was established. Robert Simms called the
meeting to order at 6:40 pm.
II. Roll call
13 Members were present at roll call: Robert Simms, Lona Alias,
Maskeelah-Myrtle Washington, Ellen Williams Carter (non- voting), Louis Wolf, Eileen Rosin, Nick Arena (non-voting), Jim
Brown, Julie Hewitt, Benito Diaz, Cliff Smith, Nancy Sorden, Meredith Cordisco, Martha Peterson, Ron Pinchback
Members Late: Tony Leon, Campbell Johnson, Sabooh Hakim, Gloria Turner, Donald Williams,
4 Excused absence: Christine
Cotter, Vickie McGill, JW Nightwolf, Eric Ramey
The GM Jerry Paris was present.
The IPD Katea Stitt was not
Timekeeper: Meredith Cordisco
III. Approval of Agenda – agenda was amended and approved
IV. Approval of the minutes
The July 12, 2017 regular meeting minutes were approved.
Minutes Approved

V. Management Reports
The General Manager, Jerry Paris stated the following:
• I have hired two new engineers:
Robert Smith who has done the podcast for the public affairs programs and Sierra Shin who knows the studio
• He stated that the rent was paid and he has paid our vendors.
• The Blues Festival will move indoors if
there is rain.
• Bethesda Blues and Jazz may possibly will do monthly fundraisers for WPFW.
• The International
programming raised $2500.
• The mini fund drive begins on August 20 to the 26th. Goal $125,000.
• The air
conditioner compressor needs to be replaced.

The Interim Program Director Report (presented by General
• August 8-27, Documenta 14 Radio Program: Every Time A Ear di Soun
• The mini fund drive begins on
August 20 to the 26th. Goal $125,000.
VI. Finance Report by Treasurer - submitted a written report
• The cash flow
will be challenging in August and September.
• The stations expenses are roughly $90. -$100, 000 per month. Currently
the station has $50,000. in the bank. After salaries $20,000. will be left in the bank.
• The LSB has raised $ 450.
for the matching fundraiser on the air.
• The following activities are scheduled:
- August 20 to the 26th LSB
- August 19th LSB Monthly Fundraising Day
- August 14-17 LSB Volunteers needed to call donors for
unfulfilled pledges.
• Financial reports due for audit and tax return
• Fiscal year 2018 budget needs to begin to
be reviewed by the LSB in September.
Cliff Smith – Will the funds raised be used for central
Lona Alias – Will there be special programming?
Ron- Are we doing specials?
General Manager - Not
Eileen – When will it start?
General Manager – It starts on Saturday.
Jim Brown – We need someone to
produce it.
Maskeelah-Myrtle Washington – She would like to send letters to donors. She said she will create a
draft donor letter.
Tony Leon -Do you have a feedback from the mailing? Do we have a list of major
General Manager -We have a small major donor list.
VII. LSB Retreat Response – Presented by Tony Leon

I Move that we have the retreat groups meet and make a presentation during the September meeting.

Vote: Unanimous
VIII. Community Comment
• Pete Tucker- Jerry Paris will collect money from LSB for the Blues
Festival tickets.
• Tony Norman –It is important that we raise money for WPFW with the Blues Festival.
• Jim
Brown (community person) He would like the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki discussed on the air. He would also
like recognition of the individuals who are maintaining a vigil in front of the White House.
Campbell Johnson wants a
resolution regarding Nagasaki:
WPFW Local Station Board Resolution in Recognition of the Atomic Bomb that was
exploded over the Peoples of Nagasaki, Japan:
We solemnly resolve that in the spirit of Acie Byrd and John
Steinback, we stand with those who are maintaining the vigil across from the White House. We recognize that these
activists long held high the banner of conscientious protest against the inhumanity that the bombing of Nagasaki, Japan
IX. PNB Reports
Benito Diaz stated the following:
• The New York (WBAI) issue hasn’t been
• The IED fired KPFT’s General Manager.
Ron Pinchback - What is the status of Bill Crosier’s ultimatum
to stations?
General Manager - There is no response from Bill Crosier.
Ron Pinchback – Is the KPFT GM filing a
X. Programming Committee – submitted a written report
Cliff Smith stated his motion again and it was
I move that the following prime time weekday hours as shown below be dedicated entirely to public affairs
programming and that this change in format be implemented as soon as possible but certainly within six months.
motion was entered by Tony Leon:
I move that the LSB asks management to produce a monthly report from the Info@wpfw
The motion was rescinded. Martha Peterson said that the new engineer was going to give her the
XI. MASC Committee
No report was shared.
XII. New Business
• Lona Alias wants a Town Hall
Meeting on the proposed changes in Health Care and NEA non- funding. Lona asked that it occur in October.
• She said
that the LSB could produce it. Lona said she would be one of the producers.
• Campbell Johnson said his church is
interested in these issues. His Church is Plymouth Congregational Church. The pastor is Rev. Hagler.
It was decided
that this was a station programming issue.
XIII. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: There was no objection.
Simms adjourned the regular meeting at 9:15 pm
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm
Minutes submitted by: Ellen Williams